Wednesday, January 3, 2007

The Start

This is an experiment in self-discipline and professionalism, I think. Let us see if I can post a well-crafted article, review, or other sort of writing at least once a week, and then we can go from there.

I don't intend this to be a particularly personal blog, so I am not quite sure how much of an introduction I should write to it.

Alright, the basics. I am an English major at the University of Alabama at Huntsville, which is perhaps the last place I expected myself to be at this point in my life. As a high school student, I was desperate to leave Huntsville, but when my plans for a gap year fell through I started at the local university. Hopefully after this semester I can transfer into the University of Georgia. I am engaged, I have a wonderful dog named Mina, and I am probably more of a hippie than I should admit. I am also a gamer chick, and at one point in my life I was a theater geek, but for many reasons that slid onto the back burner. Mainly for a less exhibitionist hobby, the art of scribbling in notebooks in the corners of coffee shops and during class when I should really be taking notes.

Anything else? Ah, as my Facebook account so eloquently puts it, "I hate zombies, mean people, and public restrooms." And that pretty much sums up my total amount of hate. Hence the blog title, "The Doormat Writer".

I don't really deem myself to resemble a doormat, it is more an interesting title and a metaphor for my humble writing situation. Take it how you will, but to be honest, it was the most unique title I could come up with. Not without lack of trying, mind you. It took me days to come up with this one. Yes, my career is already off to an awesome start!

I'm not setting out on this to be a professional blogger, although that would be a nice plus. I am more interested in the exposure of my work, and the chance to flex my non-fiction article writing skills which up until recently have been nonexistent. And to boot myself into writing more.

So let's see how far we can get with this.

No comments: